How to protect your family from cyber threats?
Do you have young children who risk being exposed to pornographic or inappropriate websites?
Do you feel you should control the type of applications your children use and the amount of time they spend on the internet on websites such as social media?
Are you worried your children are using gaming, gambling, or in-app purchasing applications?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions you are part of a growing movement of concerned family’s’ who are struggling to control their childrens’ exposure to the internet.
Why is access to internet content so hard to control?
There are 3 main reasons why internet consumption by children is hard to control:
- Multiple Access – The internet can now be accessed in a variety of different ways. Traditionally the home network was the only access method for most families. Now we have access by mobile data access via 3G & 4G networks, plus the increased availability of free Wi-Fi public access networks, then the additional opportunity of roaming as guests on other private Wi-Fi Networks. Internet access is now available everywhere so managing access through gatekeeping devices such as routers is increasingly ineffective.
- Multiple Devices – With internet access everywhere comes the proliferation of multi device access with many children now using a range of smartphones, tablets, laptops, and workstations. Internet access is now available almost anywhere on any device, so managing access of devices is increasingly difficult.
- Knowledge – Our children are developing skills and shared methodologies that can circumvent traditional control network mechanisms (such as routers) and device profile user management (such as Windows Parental Control).
With anywhere anytime internet access from multiple devices, is it still possible to regulate internet access to our children?
Thankfully development of cloud technologies has enabled user management to be lifted above the physical network layer and enables user profile management to be delivered across multiple access networks and devices. Effectively the cloud allows an additional layer of control above the traditional approach to user management and content control.
Here is what a cloud based portal can enable:
- Block porn and adult content
- Restrict access to social media
- Restrict access to YouTube and gaming content
- Limit access to mobile games and apps
- Limit app downloads and in-app purchases
- Disable device features including cameras
- Set restricted access periods and sleep times across devices
- Cover devices in and out of home.
- Managed from a single cloud based portal
Given all this is possible, how it is achievable?
As a business who has been help protect Australian and New Zealand families for over 20 years we have watched the evolution of different internet security software and hardware struggle to keep up with these changes. In our view, if families wish to take control of how internet is consumed they must consider using a cloud based portal to provide comprehensive protection.
To the best of our knowledge the most comprehensive and accessible product for family internet management is called Family Zone. Family Zone is a new generation cloud based product that allows for all these changes in technology from anywhere access from multiple devices.